What is new in the Crystal Touch approach to the causes and mechanisms of Bell's palsy complications?
Usual complications (sequelae) of Bell’s palsy are: contractures of the facial muscles, pathological synkineses, weakness of facial muscles and facial asymmetry. Contractures are often accompanied by headaches and chronic facial pains.
The traditional remedy for facial contractures is Botox injections. However, after several repeated injections the efficiency of the therapy usually decreases.
Crystal Touch NPR method addresses the root causes of contractures. Its application helps to normalize the brain signal levels for facial muscles’ tone, “teaches” the contractured facial muscles to relax, and induces neuronal regeneration of the facial nerve. As a result, the contractures and pains are gradually reduced, eventually eliminated and the face becomes more symmetrical.
Crystal Touch NPR method approaches pathological synkineses as manifestations of pathological facial movement patterns that patient gradually develops during the first 4-9 months after the onset. From our point of view, these manifestations are not related in any way to the presumable aberrant regeneration of facial nerve that usually receives all the blame for pathological synkineses.
The entire NPR program is aimed at:
● Neuronal regeneration of the facial nerve;
● Restoration of the symmetry of brain signals to both sides of the face;
● Developing skills of conscious relaxation of the facial muscles;
● Training of a finely differentiated control of facial muscles, which is essential for overcoming synkineses;
● Forming the correct coordination patterns of facial muscles in order to restore the symmetry of the facial movements;
● Training and restoration of normal symmetrical tone of facial muscles.
How does the Neuro-Proprioceptive Rehabilitation look like?
Crystal Touch Rehabilitation program consists of regular working sessions in the clinic every 4-5 weeks and patient’s own daily work at home in between. Special NPR techniques for the self-progressing our patients learns gradually during the working sessions.
Each NPR working session takes 1,5 hours and includes several modules, one of which is the treatment using a working apparatus. The treatment is painless and feels comfortable. Other modules of the working session are carried out without the use of special equipment.
What is the effect of the Neuro-Proprioceptive Rehabilitation treatment?
Crystal Touch NPR treatment stimulates several aspects:
- regeneration of facial nerve fibers
- normalization of facial muscles’ tonus on the affected side
- symmetrization of the tonic signals from the brain to both sides of the face
- proper balance between relaxation and contraction of muscle fibers on the affected side of the face
- blood and lymph circulation in the face tissues
- improves the sense of facial proprioception
Based on our experience, some improvements the patient can already feel after the first working session. As we move through the program and learn new rehabilitation techniques for self-application, the improvements become more visible and lasting.
Is the positive result guaranteed after the completion of the program? Does one need any "support" sessions?
All our Bell’s palsy and congenital facial palsy patients who followed the Crystal Touch NPR program have achieved significant improvements. By the end of rehabilitation program they had learned how to maintain the achieved results on their own.
Basically, after the completion of the program there is no need for repeated courses. Some of our patients, however, prefer to follow the “maintenance” sessions once every 6 months.
Do you use Botulinum Toxin (botox) in Neuro-Proprioceptive Rehabilitation treatment?
- We do not use any injections of botulinum toxin, hyaluronic acid nor any other fillers or neurotoxins.
- We do not use any tools from the arsenal of plastic surgery. Face-lifting, thread, implants, etc. are not used in NPR method.
- We do not use electromyostimulation that includes electric shocks, currents of high intensity and painful treatments.
What can and cannot be expected from the application of the Neuro-Proprioceptive method?
100% recovery “as it used to be” can hardly be expected. In theory this is possible, but to achieve these results, the duration of the rehabilitation program will be excessively long (up to a year, sometimes more).
One can expect the following improvements from the application of Crystal Touch NPR method:
- decreased or resolved contractures on the affected side
- symmetrization of the facial movements to the aesthetically acceptable level
- reduction in manifestation degree of synkineses to the aesthetically acceptable level
- significant reduction or elimination of pains on the affected side of the face (if applicable)
- overall improvements in the appearance, skin color, face contour and facial expression